Test and Balance Technician • INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA
Synergy Test and Balance seeks a qualified HVAC Test and Balance Technician to join our experienced team to help support the mechanical test and balance practice in our Indianapolis, Indiana territory.
We are offering an entry to mid level career opportunity with significant potential for advancement within the corporate structure. The technician will perform testing, adjusting, and balancing (TAB) of heating, ventilation, and air conditioning (HVAC) systems. Technician will inspect systems, equipment and assemblies to verify compliance with plans, specifications, and manufacturer’s operating requirements. Responsibilities will include diagnosing airflow and water flow performance issues, and adjusting and calibrating system components to achieve optimal system performance. Technician position involves extensive computer and paperwork skills to create and maintain test reports and tool utilization matrices. Extensive on the job training and technician certification will be required as a component of the position. Some travel with overnight stays will be required. Ability to comply with Indiana Department of Motor Vehicle rules and regulations, crime check, background search, and drug testing will be included elements of the hiring process.
Per the Whole Building Design Guide: “TAB technician designates the person in charge of the TAB work being done on the HVAC system. TAB procedures on a complicated HVAC system require that the TAB technician must be a well-trained, highly-skilled, and knowledgeable individual. This person must know the fundamentals of airflow, hydronic flow, refrigeration, and electricity and be familiar with all types of HVAC temperature controls and refrigeration systems. They must also know how to take pressure, temperature, and flow measurements and be able to perform effective troubleshooting, as well as thorough and accurate documentation of results.”
- Knowledge of commercial HVAC air and water distribution systems
- Computer literate with word processing and spreadsheet software, including MS Word and Excel
- Good analytical, problem-solving, organizational and planning abilities
- Good communication skills, oral and written
- Ability to work independently or as part of a project team
- Ability to take direction from clients, management and co-workers
- Ability to travel (local and out-of-state), including multi-day travel, as needed
- Ability to work overtime hours as needed
- Physically able and willing to conduct site inspections and field testing (climb ladders, walk on roofs, work at heights in scissor lifts, etc.)
- Valid Driver’s License and good driving record
- Comply with company and project drug testing
- Associates degree in relevant technical discipline or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Relevant technical certifications or licenses from organizations such as USGBC (i.e. LEED AP), AABC, NEBB, TABB, and BCxA
- 3 years’ experience in at least one of the following: testing, adjusting and balancing; controls; MEP and control system installation; electrical; energy auditing; and/or building systems construction
- Basic understanding of sustainability, energy management principals and energy efficiency strategies
- Ability to acquire and maintain security clearance for facilities
Competitive industry based salary and expenses will be offered commensurate with education, experience, and skill level. Health insurance, disability and life insurance, and profit sharing/IRA retirement plan is included in this full time career opportunity.